Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Corvair Parts

10/15/21

   I'm working on setting up my engine rebuilding bench, mainly because I need a few engines for my own use. But since I have fortune engine laying around, I expect that I will be doing a few of those engines over again, just to get good running engines on the shelf. I expect to be crating the disassembled components into single engine batches. I have both 164 and 145 CI engines. I have a number of FC engines, but I want to make sure I have four of them for my own use. I am always looking for some degree of parts, but I really need to be reducing my inventory rather than increasing it, since I am 67 yrs old.  If you are looking for an engine, check here from time to time and I will post what I have for sale. As it stands now, I have an 80 hp engine that came out of a VW and presumably has a reverse cam. That engine currently is assembled, but does not turn over. I want $500 for it, pickup at my shop only, I won't ship it, but I may deliver for $2/mile it if it's not too far. 

Arthur Greisiger
image.of.the.mind.studios@gmail.com


11/14/19

   I have begun to review the status of my Corvair supplies, because the work on "The Gnomes of New Hope" has progressed that I feel ok about spending energy on rebuilding the Corvairs again. I had stopped working on Corvairs because it was getting in the way of the creative work I was doing in the theatre. Now that the Storybooks are very close to being finished, working on mechanical stuff again will not interfere with finishing the work. So I am setting up to concentrate on engine work. I will be setting up a page for the Corvairs, so look for a link to that page appearing on the IMS Virtual Studio page. I have been "doing" Corvairs since 1970. AG


Here's an image, just to make it interesting. I've posted a Corvair engine that is set up to mount to a VW transaxle. It's on Facebook Marketplace. $500 for that engine, with a second engine thrown in for another $100. That is a limited time offer, as I may choose to keep the engines and rebuild them. AG

ARCHIVE

I have a collection of Corvair Parts which have been part of my maintenance supplies. I'm reducing my parts down to only one extra powertrain for each of my two Corvairs. I have a 1966 Convertable and a 1961 FC Rampside. I am looking for some parts too, so I will be posting a list here of parts for sale and parts I'm seeking. I would be interested in selling the parts as a lot, but not until I assure that the parts are inventoried to assure that I keep what I need for my vehicles. I know I have about thirteen engines, most of which are disassembled. I also know I have a set of 180 turbo heads, an 80 hp set up for VW, about four truck blocks a late model power top frame (complete but disassembled) I may refinish the top frame and make that available. I'll post photos her later. AG


1 comment:

  1. UPDATE on the Corvair to VW engine posted on Facebook Marketplace;

    I've been thinking about this. Many people seem to think that something like this engine should be sold for like a hundred bucks. My question is; How much is it worth to locate a motor (in a scrap yard), grab your tools, drive to the yard, haul the tools out in the yard, crawl around on the ground, dealing with the dirt, grease and oil, bust up your knuckles, get the motor out, haul it thru the yard, lift it into you truck, get cleaned up, drive it back, find a storage space for it, and protect it from destruction, sometimes for years? Add to that the cost of the parts if the engine is stripped down. So that's my thought on this.

    It turns out this is a '64 95 HP engine. I misread the serial number.

    Perfect starter engine for a Dune buggy. This is an early model 95 HP Corvair engine which was removed from a VW. It has not been touched, other than to remove the carbs and shrouding, which are included. The engine has been in storage for around 15 years. I presume that this engine has the reverse cam required to operate with the VW transaxles (but this needs to be confirmed). It has the bell housing adapter and a clutch/pressure plate. Available as is, or with a rebuild, at extra cost.

    Further examination shows that this engine does need to be rebuilt. It might run, but really needs to be redone.

    So I've decided to offer a second 65-68 95hp engine for an additional $100 as a way of providing you extra parts.

    If you want me to rebuild the engine, I'll do so using a 95 or 110 HP engine. I can rebuild stock or high performance. Price for rebuild starts at $2,500 for stock used parts. New parts are additional.

    I'm very seriously considering ripping these engines down. If either one of them does have forged pistons; a single full set of forged pistons goes for more than the cost of this engine alone, not to mention the other parts.

    So the clock is ticking on these fully assembled engines being available. AG

    ReplyDelete